I just want to give a heads up to those of you that follow this blog: I'm teaching a course in Panama in March of 2011.
This is for folks who are damn serious about their coffee businesses and their coffee careers. The world's most unique coffee education course, among the coffee farms and cloud forests of Panama. A truly unforgettable learning experience that will launch you into the next level (and possibly several more levels beyond that).
This course is five days of intensive coffee education amid the splendor of coffee farms growing along a nature preserve in the volcanic cloud forests of Panama. It's as beautiful as it sounds.
And by the way, March is absolutely the month you want to be in the mountains of Panama. Warm and sunny without being humid. Cool breezes among the trees and mountainsides... it's paradise. The farm we are staying at is surrounded by nature preserves, and serves as a stopover for dozens of different tropical and migratory birds. In fact, they get annual groups of ornithologists that come and stay in these cabins.
But this is no idle sightseeing trip. We'll be studying intensively the workings of a coffee farm, with a special eye towards how quality is crafted. Course topics include:
- • Introduction to Sensory Analysis
- • Intensive Tasting Exercises
- • Coffee Tasting Training and Triangulation
- • Applied Roasting Theory
- • Hands-on Roasting Sessions
- • The Workings of a Coffee Farm
- • Tours of High Altitude Specialty Coffee Farms
- • Theory of Growing Coffee
- • Coffee Processing Up Close and Personal
- • Environmental and Social Sustainability
- • Buying Coffee for Your Business
- • Developing Relationships with Growers
Finally I should mention too that March is the end of the harvest season in Panama. We will have dozens upon dozens of fresh-crop, unsold specialty coffees on site for roasting and cupping. It would be great to see some of you blog-readers in Panama, but space is very limited, of course.
There's a website about the class here. Or you can send me an email to email@example.com